My Dress My Choice, How I See It.



Photography is one of the new jobs popular with the modern young Kenyan male adults. Photo/Getty Images
Almost a month ago, I was attending to a Saturday lecture at my school. We were learning about how public policies are formed and implemented.  Soon, the discussion shifted to security policies at the campus, many people said they were not subjected to a security check at the gate on their way in while a few of us who wore jeans, t-shirts, sneakers and maybe donning some cap on a hot Saturday were subjected to a thorough check. At one point the professor joked that with my look I could not have escaped the check.

On my long journey home, I felt disturbed by the remarks. As a young male person I felt as if the whole class had stripped me of my dress my choice rights. Surely, what has my dressing as to do with it? To me, I saw it as a stereotype.

When you stereotype somebody, you misjudge that person and it denies you the opportunity to know them for who they really are. I have always felt comfortable in jeans, khakis and t-Shirts, even when need be I can wear suits to board meetings, trainings and other important occasions. That Saturday afternoon, I felt the class atmosphere needed light clothing, or who would love to attend an afternoon lecture with Suits? Unless you are the one lecturing.

Like always I get life lessons from my everyday experiences. Young people are subject to judgement and stereotype every day, more so the Kenyan young male. Having interacted with people from different cultures from across the world, it is in my personal opinion that the young Kenyan man has been greatly stereotyped and often misjudged wrongly by the society. Last month, a friend got acquitted by a Meru Court after serving 7 months in jail. The story itself is, on the Dawn of the new year my friend was out celebrating the start of another year, on his way home he met a group of thugs robbing a woman, being the gentleman that he is, he jumped in to try and safe the lady, although the scared thieves run away, they managed to steal her handbag with her valuables. The friend together with the lady reported the matter to the police. Astonishingly! A few hours later my friend was arrested by the same people he reported to. The only reason for his arrest was he had dreadlocks and therefore he must have known who the thugs are!

My good people whether you like it or not, we are in the 21st century. Times have changed and so should some of us. I would not mind saying we need to style up. We are letting little things disturb us as a society. The thing is, this generation is now far much exposed, traditionally little information was out there. People thought long hair made one ‘suspicious’, criminals also know this and they are escaping justice by keeping short hair! But how will the young experimental male enjoy his freedom? It is no secrets in developed countries you can don any hairstyle to work, because they understand what matters is what is in between the ears and not your hair!

Mr Bobby Mkangi, a member of the Committee of Experts that drafted the 2010 Constitution, addresses delegates at KICC. Mkangi is one of the few professionals who don dreadlocks to work in Kenya. He is a Constitutional Lawyer. Photo/ Daaily Nation.
Every day there is talk in all media channels about young people not waiting for government to employ them but rather create jobs for themselves. I dare say this notion is overrated. If you think you can create so much jobs for yourself without capital, why don’t you resign from your higher office where you address these issues from, donate everything to charity and come and start a job with zero capital? You see how ironical that is?

For the few young entrepreneurs, traditional jobs are hard to create which has led to the young male adapting to modern new jobs. Some are now in the internet marketing, Photography and Videography, Entertainment and Sports. These jobs does not require specific dress code has it was the case in traditional jobs. It is no surprise therefore to see a young CEO of say an entertainment company rocking some locks while wearing some sneakers, jeans and t-shirts on a Monday morning. Because this is the new world we are living in and his job environment allows them to be themselves in the best way they feel. Needless to say I felt so much pain for my friend, a Computer Science Graduate self-employed fella who had to spend a whole 7 months in jail just because he had dreadlocks.

The point is, young male adults have so much to offer, but what happens if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree? Why don’t you ask me what my clothing or hair represents before you judge me? Unlike before, the modern young male is enlightened, free thinkers and bold decision makers. Next time sit and listen to them before you judge them from appearance, for appearances sometimes can be deceiving.

With all that said, next week am going back to school again and have never felt in such contrasting situation as I feel right now. I am ton between rocking my everyday wear to work which includes khakis, shirts and leather shoes to ‘impress’ my professor or whether I should be myself and rock my favorite jeans, t-shirts and a cap? But regardless of my choice of clothing, I would be more happy if my learned friends saw me for who I am rather than judge me for what I wear, for my dress is my choice.

Felixkinyua35@gmail.com



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meru People can also sing; These are the Stars Representing Meru Music to the World

Formless? How about a visit to ‘Africa’s tallest tree?’